How do I become a bondservant of the LORD Jesus Christ, the Son of the Most High?
First we must understand what a bondservant is.
Greek - Doulos is the Greek word for bondservant
What is a bondservant?
· A bondservant is someone that chooses to serve someone
· Bondservant means one who is subservient to and entirely at the disposal of his master. Usually one step above the slave. During Roman times, many times a person would voluntarily serve someone and would become devoted to that person.
· A bondservant has a higher position with the master than a slave
o Exodus 21:5 & 6 But if the servant (Slave) plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' (the man may be free but his wife and kids still belongs to the master) then his master shall bring him to the judges. He shall also bring him (the slave) to the door, or to the doorpost, and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him forever.
· Someone that will forever wear the mark of this Master forever.
o An awl looks like an ice pick and is a tool which is used to punch a hole in leather.
o It became traditional to put in a gold earring after the awl was removed because the hole in the ear would close and not be seen.
o That slave could never go free again - he was bonded to his master. He could never be sold. He became more than just a slave; he became a servant who was permanently attached -- bonded -- to his master, he now was a bondservant
o The Hebrews viewed the ear not only as the means of hearing but also symbolically linked the ear to obedience.
What is the difference between a slave and a bondservant?
· A slave was a piece of property and could be kill for any reason but a bondservant could not be killed
· A slave was usually bought and not paid for their work but a bondservant usually was paid
· A slave could be sold a bondservant could not be sold and in some ways, this was an adoption of the servant by the master.
· From a level of an animal to a human level and sometimes to the level of a family member
· A slave serves because that's their job and a bondservant serves from the heart
Are there examples of bondservants in the Bible?
· Even the Messiah is called God’s Servant (Isaiah 53:11) and in Mark 9:35, Jesus taught that the greatest in God’s kingdom would have to become “the servant of all”
· Today we consider ourselves as bondservants of Christ (1 Corinthians 7:22; Ephesians 6:6; 2 Timothy 2:24). He is our Lord, and our allegiance is due to Him alone.
· As bondservants, we renounce other masters (Matthew 6:24) and give ourselves totally to Him (Matthew 16:24).
· Being a bondservant of Christ is not drudgery. His “burden is light” (Matthew 11:30). Also, we have this promise: “Now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life” (Romans 6:22).
· 2 Peter 1:1 through 2 Peter 1:12 give a good example of a bondservant
· The Children of Israel were servants - 'for the children of Israel are servants to Me; they are My servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God. (Leviticus 25:55)
· Moses was a servant - God Himself says so. Not so with My servant Moses; He is faithful in all My house. (Numbers 12:7)
· David was a servant - I am Your servant; Give me understanding, That I may know Your testimonies. (Psa. 119:125)
· Make Your face shine upon Your servant, And teach me Your statutes. (Psalms 119:135)
· Your word is very pure; therefore Your servant loves it. (Psalms 119:140
· James 1:1 “James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad: Greetings”
The Jewish nation believes that a bondservant of God is an honorable position.
What are some of the qualities of a bondservant?
Points of being a bondservant:
1. A Bondservant of Christ is:
a. emptied of self,
b. and walks in deep humility before the Lord,
c. Faithfully obeying Him to the point of suffering hardship, humiliation, and even death if required. (Phil. 2:5-8; Luke 1:38)
2. A Bondservant of Christ has a deep and genuine concern for the welfare of others. (Phil. 2:20-21; Col. 4:14-13)
3. A Bondservant of Christ seeks to:
b. comfort and
c. strengthen others. (Col. 4:7- 8)
4. A Bondservant of Christ strives to do the will of his Master, and please Him only
5. A Bondservant has abandoned seeking after the praise of men. (Gal. 1:10; II Cor. 5:9)
6. A Bondservant of Christ does not promote or exalt self but promotes and exalts Christ as Lord of all, and views self as a bond slave of others to fulfill the call of Christ. (II Cor. 4:5)
7. A Bondservant of Christ is not quarrelsome, but kind to all, able to teach, be patient when wronged, gently correcting those who are in opposition. (II Tim. 2:24-25)
8. A Bondservant of Christ sees his/her life of service as a grateful, dutiful, and loving response to God and not something for which he/she expects to be thanked by the Master. (Luke 17:7-10; Rom. 12:1-2; Eph. 6:5-8)
So how do I become a bondservant of the LORD Jesus?
· Accept Him as your King
· Serve only Him
o Serve others for Him - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
· Give your all to Him
· Accept the Love that He has for you
· Accept the Mercy that He has for you
· Accept the teachings that He has for you
· Accept the discipline that He has for you
· Accept the Grace that He has for you
· Accept that the LORD your God redeemed you
· Stop doing things with the attitude of ‘LOOK AT ME!”
· Check you motives for doing anything - who gets the glory you or God
· Questions I need to ask-
o Do I want to serve my church
o Will I clean a toilet if ask
o How can I serve someone I just met
o Is there anything I can do for my pastor - not to recognized but just to bless
o Have I encourage someone today Love each other as I have loved you. (John 15:12)
o Is that person looking at me in the mirror becoming more Christ like
o Will I stay true to Jesus when things are not so good
Are you a bondservant of the LORD Jesus Christ? IF not are you willing to become a bondservant of the LORD?
Get with you Pastor and ask him to led you in becoming more of a bondservant for Jesus.
Read through the bible with us in one year - daily reminder at www.rrrecardoe.blogspot.com